Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Update

We've been driving... driving people nuts.

I called all my doctors last week to ask for copies of my records which I have to hand carry to the Mayo Clinic. Sounds like a simple request right? I called on Monday and told them I'd be in on Thursday to pick them up.

Thursday comes around and we start collecting... stopping at each office... getting hugs from my doctors and nurses as we went on our way... most came out and said hello when I got there... wished us luck and said,

"Have them fax me the reports."

Two of the offices weren't ready... for some reason... the copies had been lost... or never copied... or flown off in a balloon to Oz. We explained how it was necessary to have them by Monday. This morning... first thing after I called my insurance company (yuck... still dealing with that) I called the two late bloomers. One said it was in her drawer. I could come in any time... and the other ... well here's our conversation.

"Hi, This is Rachel... I just wanted to make sure that you had my records ready to be picked up today."

"When did you request them?"

"Last Monday, You were supposed to have them by Thursday... when I came in you said that it hadn't been done yet. and you were understaffed... Remember?"

"I show that we had them ready on the 26th. And you didn't come in to retrieve them so they were destroyed."

"Thursday was the 26th. I was there. You said you didn't have them. Could you please make me new copies?" I said... trying not to let my mouth fly... and really give her a piece of my mind.

"Well I guess we can do it again for you.." she sighs angrily.

"Seriously!?!?! I was so frustrated... I HAVE to have these records for my appointment... I called Monday morning... gave you a couple days to get it together... you didn't have it... then you blamed me for it... and now... you are acting as though I am inconveniencing you?!?!? My mom had driven me up TWICE! And I have dragged my weak body all the way down the long hall to your office... no... you aren't going to guilt me!" I thought to myself... trying my hardest not to rip into her.

The whole way there... I prayed that the "mean office lady" wouldn't be there... and that the nice one would.

THANK YOU LORD! My prayer was answered. I walked in... and "she" was no where in sight. I spoke with the sweet lady who is always so helpful and cheerful :) and she printed me off two sets, one for my keeping and one for Mayo.

After I had gathered all of my papers... I got home and started organizing them... and reading them.

Wow... so sad.

It's really hard to read progress reports that say,

"Patient's strength has significantly decreased in the past two weeks and reflexes are diminished."

I read through the entire stack. paper by paper. At times completely forgetting that they were writing about me...  and feeling really sorry for this girl that the doctors refer to as "pleasant". These were my symptoms... these were my tests... but for those moments... I forgot.

I felt really sorry for her.

My heart breaks for her.

Most of the time... I am so far away from "her" and I try to be so focused on other things... like how Great my God is. How blessed I am by my family... friends... butterflies...flowers...  hummingbirds... and my kitty... that I don't let "her" into my mind.

Wednesday morning my mom and I leave for Arizona. For the next one to three weeks... There will be no escaping "her" it will be poking and prodding... paper napkins and fabric gowns.

Please pray for "Her".

 I don't want "Her" my heart to be discouraged.

xoxo-me

P.S. Listen to the first song on the side.. I found it on Pandora a couple days ago... and I've been thinking about it  ever since...

"Whatever's in front of me help me to sing Hallelujah!"

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I'm sorry you have to go through this. You are in my prayers! I pray for safe travels for your mom and for you, and for knowledge and wisdom for the doctors.