Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Mmmmm... spaghetti squash!

OK, Kami Green posted awhile back about her new found love for spaghetti squash and I told her I would give her the recipe so... here it is! I love this food and have had a love for it for a long time! I decided to share my delicious recipe for this delight with all of you! If you are not a huge vegetable fan... this may not be your first choice for dinner or... if you have picky kids I suggest serving a frozen pizza with it as we do in my family (for the men of course :)

1 Spaghetti squash halved and seeds scooped out
1 box frozen Lima beans
1 can dark red reduced sodium kidney beans rinsed
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1-4 cloves minced garlic (depending on how much you love it... I use 4-8 :) )

Put the halved spaghetti squash in a large pot, open side down, with an inch of water. Cook for 25-30 minutes.

In the mean time cook Lima beans according to package. Drain. Mix into pot with Lima beans: garlic, balsamic vinegar, Olive oil, and rinsed kidney beans. Set to the side until spaghetti squash is done.

Remove Spaghetti squash from the pot and put on plates. Pull your fork along the inside of the spaghetti squash until it becomes very stringy like spaghetti (this shouldn't take long). Put Lima and kidney bean mixture in the squash halves! Depending on the size of your squash this could feed 2 or 4 adults! Yum! We just serve the dish in the squash shell, you can take it out if you like! I normally have mine with a glass of Non-fat milk and it is a complete meal!

No comments: